Thursday, July 28, 2011

wait, where's my "thank you?"

last night as i approached my car having left the gym, a woman shouted "hey! wait!!" i turned around to see an asian lady with slightly peppered shoulder length hair. she looked to be in her early 40's, was mousy looking and had on round thin wire framed glasses. we had an exchange that went exactly like this:

bizarre:   do you carry two dollars on you?
me:   uhh, i don't know. yes? let me see. (i pull out my wallet and see that i do in fact have two dollars)
bizarre:   i need two dollars to put minutes on my phone
me:   two dollars? how do you put minutes on your phone with two physical dollars?
bizarre:   it's a prepaid phone. i'll go to 7-eleven right there (seemingly sarcastic but after our exchange i realized she's just a tad odd)
me:   oh. ummm suuuuurrree. here you go.
(at this point bizarre begins to walk away with the two bucks and i am opening the door to my car)
bizarre:   what do you do if you've had a bad day and you don't know what to do?
me (caught off guard):   what? i.....i......
bizarre:   you can't talk to your mom or dad because they'll tell you you're wrong. (mind you, she's like 40) so what do you do? exercise?
me:   i don't know the specifics of what you're talking about but.....umm.......talk to friends?
bizarre (shouts):   talk to friends?
me:   yes.
she turns away and leaves


now i have a few things to say about this.
1) why does she need to put money on her prepaid phone when she could have easily asked the nice people at the 24 Hr Fitness to use their phone? really, how much could $2 really bought her in phone minutes nowadays, especially after tax? like a minute and a half of talk time?
2) why does she even have a prepaid phone? to my knowledge based on shows such as Dateline and 20/20, only people who are scheming to murder or rob a bank have prepaid phones. who exactly was i giving my money too?
3) i was ready to hand over two bucks before the woman even told me that it was meant to buy minutes for her phone. i figured what woman in the 'burbs would ask for two whole dollars if she didn't really need it? i quickly realized she was some sort of distraught so not once did i question why she wanted my money. what's two dollars to me? a pack of Extra mint chocolate dessert gum that i probably won't chew more than one stick of anyway? sure. here's two bucks. but WHERE IS MY " THANK YOU????" she literally turned around and walked away without the courtesy of saying a simple "thank you." she asked me for money. i wasn't asking to give her money!! i could have potentially just made her day better by helping her seek whatever it is she needed....or helped her plan a murder i guess. but either way why didn't she say "thank you?" that kinda stuff drives me crazy! it's common courtesy! social etiquette! it's human decency to acknowledge someone who has done something for you. i know she was having a bad day or is a murderer but damn! i deserve a "thanks!"

1 comment:

  1. lol. sorry to hear about this bizzare thing! but if it means anything, I thank you for being one of the best and AWESOME friends i have. without you, and i do mean YOU, i don't think i'd be able to be me. thank you regina. <3

    ReplyDelete