198:365 peanut butter oreo pie
(crappy picture due to indoor lights, taken at night)
i don't know anybody who doesn't love peanut butter. oh, wait. yes i do, but that seems unfathomable unless an allergy is involved so i pretend that their dislike of salty-sweet nuttiness isn't true. when i first laid eyes on peanut butter oreos, i thought "genius." why have the good people at Oreo taken so long to come up with this? it seems like there's no way this wouldn't be a winner in grocery stores, so why didn't these appear on shelves countrywide sooner?
now as much as i love pb oreos, it's pretty impossible for me to eat a whole
bag box container of them solo before they turn stale. so i found a recipe for chocolate peanut butter pie from the Pioneer Woman's blog. it looked easy and sort of amazing. i felt the need to spruce it up just a bit so i added fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate pb for some pizzaz.
only 6 ingredients. easiest pie in life!
if you're going to eat transfats, Oreos are the way to go!
pulse whole oreos until fine and creme is nearly unnoticeable
pb, cream cheese and powdered sugar. still dense.
the addition of cool whip makes it super light and fluffy
this is how the pioneer woman had hers...all plain and boring
it needed some funk. and whipped cream is always a grand addition!
peanut butter oreo pie
-25 peanut butter oreos
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- 1 c creamy peanut butter (and NOT the all natural stuff which you have to mix to incorporate the oil)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/4 c powdered sugar
- 1 container Cool Whip
- 1 1/2 c whipping cream
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 mini Reese's peanut butter cups
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. pulse oreos in a blender or food processor until fine and creme is fully incorporated
3. pour into pie pan and mix with melted butter
4. with a spoon, or your hands, or however you please, press oreo crumb mixture into pan and up the sides so that there are no cracks
5. bake crust for about 8 minutes.
6. set crust aside to cool.
7. with a hand mixer with a whisk attachment cream peanut butter and cream cheese until smooth
8. add powdered sugar and whisk until fully incorporated
9. add cool whip and whisk on high until light and fluffy
10. using a spatula spoon mixture into cooled pie crust and smooth out
11. put whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. with a hand mixer with whisk attachment, whisk until mixture forms stiff peaks
12. with a spatula spoon whipped cream over pie and smooth out
13. microwave pb cups in a small bowl at 60% power until just melted. mix until it's in a uniform consistency
14. spoon melted chocolates into a plastic sandwich bag
15. cut off the tip and drizzle chocolate over pie
16. let pie chill for at least an hour before serving. (a few hours is best)
i know you can't see the crust. i was trying to make look nice so you could see the layers but swiped the peanut butter part over the crust. oh well. you know it's there, right? and it's delicious!