as a kid i hated brussel sprouts. i thought they were bitter and just plain gross. but as an adult i've got an obsession with them. actually, it seems that brussel sprouts are on nearly every American or Californian style restaurant menu nowadays....and i'm not complaining! last week i went to Lolo and had a great version of the dish with onions and hazelnuts so i decided to recreate it at home. i added balsamic vinegar to give it a bit of tang. good stuff, i tell ya!
i couldn't wait a whole hour to cook these down so they were less soft than i wanted but the dish still came out great.
brussel sprouts w/balsamic onions and hazelnuts
- 30 brussel sprouts
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- olive oil
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c hazelnuts
- salt and pepper
1. in a medium pan heat olive oil on low heat
2. add onions and balsamic vinegar. stir to coat. cook for approx. 1 hr, stirring occasionally (also, season with salt and pepper half way through cooking)
3. while onions are cooking, cook brussel sprouts.
4. preheat oven to 375 degrees F
5. slice brussel sprouts in half and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper
6. place brussel sprouts in oven (flat side down) for approx 30 mins or until the outer leaves look to be browned and loose leaves look charred
7. at the same oven setting, cook hazelnuts for approx 5 minutes or just enough so that the skin rubs off easily.
8. once everything is cooked, toss in a bowl.