can i just say F*CKING YUM!!!!!! these were oh so very good!
i was supposed to make a dessert for a bbq and found myself lacking time. i pondered the different things that i could make that would take under an hour and found myself involved in a rice krispie treat search. i mean, who doesn't love rice krispie treats? i know i do...but because i've become somewhat of a food snob, i always want to make things just a little better. enter salted caramel and nutella rice krispie treats.
*for this recipe i cheated and used store bought caramels and melted them down. but if you want to get real fancy, you can make the salted caramel yourself. here's a recipe i've used: salted caramels
salted caramel and nutella rice krispy treats
rice krispie treats:
- 6 tbs butter
- 1 10.5 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 8 c Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 c nutella (i used Trader Joe's brand Cocoa Almond spread)
- 1 /12 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
-1 tbs vegetable shortening
- 6 oz. caramel candies (i used Werther's chewy caramels)
- 2 tbs half and half
- 3 tsp sea salt
1. line a 9"x13" baking dish with parchment paper
2. on low heat, in a large pot, melt butter
3. add marshmallows and heat until completely melted
4. mix in Rice Krispies
5. pour mixture into lined baking dish. place a layer of saran wrap on top of it and press down with palms until the thickness is even surface is flat
6. on low heat, in a small sauce pan, melt chocolate, nutella and shortening. stir frequently until completely smooth.
7. pour nutella mixture over rice krispie treats and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to set
8. on low, in a small sauce pan heat unwrapped caramels, half and half and sea salt until completely melted and mixture smooth
9. pour salted caramel into a small plastic freezer bag and cut the tip 1/4"
10. drizzle salted caramel over the rice krispie treats