the other day i made passion fruit macaroons for a cookie exchange. but the passion fruit portion of the macaron really only exists in the curd filling. the filling is suuuuuuuper easy to make and way tasty. it's tangy and slightly floral. you can find the macaron shell recipe here, but you could probably use the curd recipe to top a cake or cheesecake too! or if you're like me, you could probably just eat it right out of the container, as it's literally finger-lickin'-good.
*passion fruit concentrate isn't always the easiest thing to find. after searching a few stores, i finally found some at a Mexican grocery store in the Mission district in SF.
passion fruit curd
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c passion fruit concentrate
- 4 tbs butter
1. in a medium sauce pan pour in sugar, egg yolks and passion fruit concentrate
2. whisk constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens (approx 15 minutes) to desired consistency
3. turn heat off and add in butter one piece at a time until thoroughly mixed in.
4. let cool and refridgerate