before i go on, i'd like to say that every time i eat cooked spinach i hate it more than the last time. i don't know why i continue to torture myself with it. i like in it's raw form (like a salad or in spinach smoothies) or if it's buried in some cheesy gooey things (like spinach dip), but i cannot get around the weird film or whatever it is that it leaves on your teeth. and sometimes when i eat it i feel like i'm about to choke to my death. so while i made this side dish with spinach, i would recommend kale instead. it's so much better with kale, trust me.
for a quick, super nutritious, guilt free side dish, make this quinoa and couscous. it's pretty tasty and goes well with most things.
quinoa, couscous and kale
- 1 c quinoa
- 1 can low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 c couscous
- 1 small shallot, diced or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- approx 3 c kale chopped into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
1. put quinoa and chicken stock in a pot and heat until it reaches a boil.
2. once boiling bring it down to a simmer and cook for approx 15 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. transfer to a large bowl and set aside
3. while quinoa is cooking, over medium heat cook shallot until transparent
4. toss in garlic and cook for one more minute
5. toss in kale, salt and pepper and cook until just wilting. add to bowl with quinoa
6. bring 3/4 c water to a boil and add couscous and some salt.
7. simmer couscous for approx 8 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. transfer to large bowl with other ingredients
8. toss and enjoy!